Sunday, April 1, 2007

Adventures with Craigslist, day 7-8

Once all my messages were 'staff deleted' my traffic was down. That didn't bother me as I was trying to figure out the value of Craigslist as a marketing channel. One thing that I was always curious about was IP address as a trigger so I signed up for a private proxy list. That didn't work at all because Craigslist won't even let you post a message if your using one of these IP's. But that's ok I had to try. So at this point I try an automated poster program. Now there are a few that exist out there and I'm sure they all operate the same. What I noticed is Craigslist obviously has some thresholds for how many messages can be posted and I'm assuming they were using my IP address as a trigger. Like credit card companies looking for spending patterns my guess is something similar. Sure I could post a number of messages every hour and that works but that still take time. And of course violates the terms of use policy. But i'm more interested in seeing if value from classified postings is worthwhile. I had tried a newspaper classified earlier in the week on a Sunday and got zero response. So now I have some posts still showing using both automated and manual posting while seeing just a few 'spam' deleted messages. But the incoming traffic is still poor.

No comments: